He Was Gone at 16

Life is so precious when you are not taking good care of it, it would depreciate without you even notice it. The other week I was so surprised when the childhood friend of my niece and Mj’s friend as well, died in a cardiac arrest at 16. He doesn’t even have any history of heart disease it just happen so fast.

It has been two weeks that he was trying to exercise, for him to sweat more he would close all the window in their bedroom and wear two shorts in one hour, while he does a push up exercise. And every after he exercise, he would take a bath immediately or even after he plays basketball, he would go to the bathroom to take a shower.

It was Sunday when he did it again; he did push ups for one hour and went to the bathroom to take a bath. Since they had a basketball league in one of the barangays here, he went to the nearest basketball court to work out, he played for two hours. 5:00 p.m., came he went home and his mother told him to buy a rice in our store, he did but my niece Moreen noticed him seems so weary and tired. But she did not give any attention to it, she even joke him around, she laugh yet he only smiled. At 5:30 p.m., he bid farewell to his Mom and he even asked her a fare, mostly he would complain when his Mom will give him only enough, oftentimes he would demand for more but that day he just turn around without even saying a word. Around 6:00 p.m., him and his team mates were invited to take dinner in one of his friends, 7:30 p.m., the game started but in just about 5 minutes he asked for a time out. His friends wondered because he usually don’t asked for a time out, he never get easily tired in playing basketball but that time it was so strange of him to ask for a rest. He asked for water but it was delayed and the referee already called them to start the game again. When he was already at the court, he suddenly fell down, he closed his eyes and his body gets numb, his friend tried to give him a CPR but when they feel his pulse they cannot hear a beat anymore. They did their best to send him to the hospital but the doctor stated “Dead on Arrival”.

His Mom came and she asked the doctor to revive it again, she cried so hard, she knew his son was still fighting but he did not cooperate at all. When she finally said goodbye to his son, he slowly closed his eyes. It was so horrible, only a month ago when I asked him what course he took, he even asked my niece Mariel of her phone number and asked her if they could be friend in Facebook, he laugh with my two niece only a month ago but due to some things, that is sometimes it is hard to explain, he was gone at 16.

You may also like


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *